Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Joo-Geen-Dah,

Marriage is, "Joo-Geen-Dah" which is Korean slang for "awesome".  It literarily means "killing" in Korean which is kinda funny. I mean I'm Joo-Geen-Dah-ing marriage, marriage isn't Joo-Geen-Dah-ing me. Also, to answer your question, yes I do have Korean street cred. Confused? me to. Anyways, now that I have been married for two years and few months marriage is the best thing ever!  I love my wife. She makes me happy, she makes me mad, she makes me crazy, she makes me sane, she even makes valentines day cards with nothing but candy bars some times. With all the things she makes me the most important thing is that she makes life unexpected. I came across a quote the other day, “The best things in life are unexpected - because there were no expectations.” In this season of life I'm learning more than ever I can't put expectations on life and God. 

Here is a great story about an unfair expectation Sommer put on me recently. Last Tuesday Sommer and I got to sleep in. This is an amazing thing that doesn't get to happen anymore because of our schedules. We both got up at 10am and like the 21st century couple that we are we both got on our laptops and explored the limitless possibilities the internet has to offer. I found an illegal feed of ESPN and watched Sportscenter and Sommer looked up all things crafts and dog clothing. At about 10:30 I was hungry and got a bowl of raisin nut bran and went back to bed. I got cozy and went back to my happy place. After a couple bites of my breakfast I looked over at Sommer and saw a face that no husband wants to see.  Guys, I got the sad face. A real - sad - face.  My heart dropped and I did what any other man would do. I tried to fix things. My plan, apologize for everything and hope something will stick. I'm sorry for not doing the dishes. I'm sorry for farting and blaming it on the dog. I'm sorry for plugging your nose and mouth at the same time while you were sleeping to see what happens. She stopped me and with those puppy eyes looked at my now soggy bowl of raisin nut bran and said, "Michael" in a way only she could.  She continued to explained that when we get to sleep in I'm expected to make breakfast in bed. What?!?  I'm sorry I didn't know you wanted breakfast in bed you should have told me. That dog just don't hunt. We went back to our computers both upset with each other. Later that day, after I took her to Sprinkles to get a cocoanut cupcake (nailed it, tottally made up for breakfast) she apologized for putting an unfair expectation on me. We talked more about expectations we put on life and on marriage and had a great rest of the day.

When we expect things from life, and even God, we sometimes end up disappointed. At times life throws us a bone and we find a hamillton on the floor at the mall (happened on tuesday, count it) but at other times we are the one who lost the hammy and now don't have any cash to get an Orange Julius. This is an example of how life happens, good and bad. With random things in life we can't expect anything. We have to go with the flow. This is even more true with God's plan. When we expect God to do what we want with no concern for what he wants we will always end up disappointed and frustrated. I have said a few times in the last couple months, "God when is it going to be my turn".  By saying this I'm telling him to do what I want and expecting him to do it. I'm treating God like he is some sort of remote control car and I'm holding the controls. The moral of this blog is that God moves outside of us and we need to be thankful for that. In the times I thought it was my turn, it wasn't. Looking back I see that clearly and am thankful. At the end of the day I'm most happy when the story of Nunan is all about the story of God. In this holiday season it is going to be very easy to put expectations on life and on God. My encouragement to you is to have faith in a God that moves outside of us and be thankful! You won't be disappointed. 

Thanks God for moving in my life in such a way that causes growth in me!


See you next friday after christmas!! Merry Christmas!! 

I promise that my future posts won't be this long.  I dislike long blogs. 


I mean it this time. 


Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment